4 - 6
How to cook Poached Mackerel with White Wine Sauce
- 2 pounds Spanish mackerel fillets
- 2 cups white wine
- 3 tablespoons wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 carrot, thinly sliced
- 2 onions, thinly sliced
- 1/2 tablespoon coriander seeds
- 3/4 tablespoon dried thyme
- 8 peppercorns
- 2 bay leaves
- 8 parsley sprigs
- 1/4 tablespoon ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 tablespoon salt
- In a medium stainless-steel saucepan, combine the wine, vinegar, oil, onions, carrot, garlic, thyme, coriander, peppercorns, parsley, bay leaves, and salt.
- Cover and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to moderately low and cook for 10-15 minutes.
- Oil a heavy flameproof 9 x 13-inch stainless-steel or enamel pan.
- Put the Spanish mackerel fillets, skin-side down, in the pan in an even layer.
- Pour the hot wine broth on the Spanish mackerel fillets, spread the vegetables over the mackerel fillets in an even layer, and sprinkle with the ground pepper.
- Cover with aluminum foil and bring to a simmer over moderately high heat.
- Reduce the heat and cook at a gentle simmer until the Spanish mackerel fillets are just done, about 10 minutes for 1/2-inch thick fillets.
- Remove the parsley and bay leaves.
- Serve the Poached Mackerel with White Wine Sauce in shallow bowls.
This recipe for Poached Mackerel with White Wine Sauce serves/makes: 4 - 6
The Poached Mackerel with White Wine Sauce recipe and the pictures are adopted from The Our Favorite Fish & Seafood Recipes Cookbook.
Main Ingredient: Mackerel
Preparation Method: Poached/Simmered