2 - 3
How to cook Poached Shad Fillets with Sorrel or Spinach
- 1 pound shad fillets
- 1 cup orange juice, fresh squeezed
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 shallots, chopped
- 1 leek, halved, thinly sliced
- 2 ounces white wine
- 3 cups sorrel leaves or fresh spinach, chopped
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon arrowroot flour, dissolved in 2 teaspoons white wine
- Salt to taste and black pepper to taste
- Saute shallots and leek in 1 teaspoon olive oil lightly or until just clear.
- Add orange juice and white wine. Bring to boil.
- Sprinkle shad fillets very lightly with salt and pepper and nestle into pan. Lower heat, cover and poach 4 minutes.
- Add chopped sorrel or spinach, cover and poach another 4 minutes (approximately 8 minutes total should be enough).
- Remove the shad fillets and spinach to warm plates.
- Thicken sauce with arrowroot dissolved in white wine and serve with saffron rice.
The Poached Shad Fillets with Sorrel or Spinach is a very affordable dish. This recipe is delicious, simple, and really easy to cook.
If desired, use flounder
, etc. (preferably a firm white fish), instead of shad.
This recipe for Poached Shad Fillets with Sorrel or Spinach serves/makes: 2 - 3
The Poached Shad Fillets with Sorrel or Spinach recipe and the pictures are adopted from The Our Favorite Fish & Seafood Recipes Cookbook.
Main Ingredient: Shad
Preparation Method: Poached/Simmered