6 - 8
How to cook Polish Carp or Pike Stuffed with Anchovies
- 1 whole carp or pike (about 3 pounds) with milt and liver
- 1 can (2-ounce) flat anchovy fillets
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine, room temperature
- 2 eggs, separated
- 1/2 cup grated fresh bread
- 1/4 cup melted butter for basting
- 1 cup dairy sour cream
- Cut half the anchovies in thin strips. Lard the carp with strips of anchovy. Chop or mash remaining anchovies. Cream with 2 tablespoons of butter. Divide in half.
- For stuffing, beat egg yolks. Chop liver. Combine grated bread, egg yolks, milt and liver. Add half of anchovy butter, mix well. Beat egg whites until stiff peaks are formed, fold into bread mixture.
- Fill cavity of carp with stuffing. Close cavity with skewers or wooden picks. Place fish in roasting pan. Drizzle with half of melted butter.
- Bake at 350°F 30 minutes. Baste with remaining melted butter. Bake 10 minutes longer. Spread remaining anchovy butter over fish. Top with sour cream. Continue baking until fish is tender and flakes easily.
This recipe for Polish Carp or Pike Stuffed with Anchovies serves/makes: 6 - 8
The Polish Carp or Pike Stuffed with Anchovies recipe and the pictures are adopted from The Our Favorite Fish & Seafood Recipes Cookbook.
Main Ingredient: Carp
Preparation Method: Baked