How to cook Polish Herring Salad
- 1 (16-ounce) jar marinated Bismarck herring (with onions)
- 2 cups cold boiled potatoes, diced
- 2 apples, core removed, peeled and diced
- 2 onions, chopped
- 4 dill pickles, chopped
- Creamy Mustard Sauce (see the recipe below)
Creamy Mustard Sauce Ingredients:
- Take out marinated Bismarck herrings from the jar and drain. Discard jar with onions and spices in the jar.
- Dice herrings and place in salad bowl.
- Add potatoes, apples, onions, and dill pickles.
- Toss gently and fold in the Creamy Mustard Sauce.
- Chill for 2 hours before serving.
How to cook Creamy Mustard Sauce
- 1 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons mustard
Fork-blend mayonnaise with sour cream and mustard.
The Polish name for the Herring Salad is Salatka Sledziowa
This recipe is a very affordable dish. Delicious, simple, and easy recipe.
The Polish Herring Salad is a great idea for appetizer.
Salted, pickled, and cured herring are available in bulk at Jewish, Russian, Ukrainian or Polish delis and can also be found in jar at supermarket.
This recipe for Polish Herring Salad serves/makes: 4
The Polish Herring Salad recipe and the pictures are adopted from The Our Favorite Fish & Seafood Recipes Cookbook.
Main Ingredient: Herring
Preparation Method: Salad