8 - 10
How to cook Polish Poached Pike
- 4 pounds pike
- 1/2 cup butter
- 4 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 2 cups sour cream
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Fresh chopped dill (optional)
- 1 quart water
- 2 cups white wine
- 1 heaping teaspoon salt
- 1 onion, coarsely chopped
- 2 carrots, coarsely chopped
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 lemon, sliced and studded with whole cloves
- To cook court bouillon combine all ingredients, bring to a boil, and simmer for 1 hour before using to poach fish.
- Rinse the fish well. Place as many fish as will easily fit onto the bottom of a deep pot. Several batches may have to be poached.
- Cover with the court bouillon, bring to a boil, then promptly remove, while still only partially done.
- Remove cautiously with a spatula, taking care not to let the fish fall apart.
- Place in a baking dish, dot with butter, and sprinkle with lemon juice.
- Combine the flour with the sour cream, and smother the pike with this mixture.
- Bake at 300°F (150°C) for about 20 minutes, continually basting with the sauce.
- Season and garnish with dill, if desired.
The Polish Poached Pike recipe very easy to prepare and so good!
The Polish name for this recipe is Gotowany Szczupak na Goraco
This recipe for Polish Poached Pike serves/makes: 8 - 10
The Polish Poached Pike (Gotowany Szczupak na Goraco) recipe is adopted from The Best of Polish Cooking by Karen West 2000.
Main Ingredient: Pike
Preparation Method: Baked