4 - 6
How to cook Portuguese Octopus with Rice
- 2 pounds (1 kg) octopus
- 1 sprig parsley, chopped
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 7 ounces (200 g) rice
- 1 medium to large onion, chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- Salt and pepper
- Lemon juice
- Season the cleaned octopus and cut it into fairly small pieces.
- Cook these, with the parsley, in plenty of boiling salted water for I5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat the olive oil in a large pan, add the onion and garlic and cook them until the onion turns golden.
- Add at least 1 pint (600 ml) of the octopus cooking water.
- When it comes to the boil, add the drained pieces of octopus with the rice, bay leaf, lemon juice and seasonings.
- Simmer for 15 to 10 minutes, until the rice is fully cooked.
- The dish will be lilac in hue.
The Portuguese name of this recipe is Arroz de Polvo
The Octopus with Rice is a very typical Portuguese dish, especially popular in Lisbon.
This recipe for Portuguese Octopus with Rice serves/makes: 4 - 6
The Portuguese Octopus with Rice Recipe is adopted from the book North Atlantic Seafood.
Main Ingredient: Various Seafood
(more Various Seafood
Preparation Method: Poached/Simmered