How to cook Potato Pancake with Tawilis Filling
- 1 (8 ounces) jar tawilis (small herring)* or sardines in oil, drained, oil reserved
- 1 1/2 pounds potatoes, washed and scrubbed
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 small bunch herbs (I used basil but feel free to substitute whatever you prefer)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cut the potatoes into quarters to shorten the cooking time. Boil the potatoes until soft.
- Place the hot potatoes in a bowl and mash. Add 1 tablespoon of butter to the potatoes and mix lightly.
- Take about 2 tablespoons of the spicy oil from the jar of tawilis and add to the potatoes. Stir to mix in the oil. Season the potatoes with salt and pepper.
- Roughly chop the greens and add to the potatoes. Mix together to make herbed mashed potatoes.Melt the remaining butter in a pan together with an equal amount of spicy oil from the jar.Take half of the mashed potatoes and spread on the bottom of the pan. Arrange the fish on top of the potatoes. Include (or exclude) spices from the jar.
- Cover the fish with the remaining mashed potatoes. Cook, uncovered, over medium heat until the edges turn brown.
- Place a plate over the pancake and invert. Take another plate, place over the pancake on the first plate and invert again.
- Then, place the pan over the pancake on the second plate and invert once more. Return the pan to the stove to brown the opposite side.
- Why too many plates and the multiple inversions? Because the unbrowned side of the pancake won’t slide off the plate easily to return it to the pan.
- When both sides of the pancake are nicely browned, place a plate over the pan and invert.
- Cool the pancake for about 10 minutes before cutting into wedges.
- Drizzle with a little olive oil and serve the Potato Pancake with Tawilis Filling with blanched and lightly buttered asparagus.
Cooking time: 45 minutes
The Potato Pancake with Tawilis Filling recipe easy to cook and so good!
* Tawilis or Sardinella Tawilis is a variety of small freshwater herring, that can only be found in Taal Lake.
This recipe for Potato Pancake with Tawilis Filling serves/makes: 4 servings
The Potato Pancake with Tawilis Filling recipe and pictures are adopted from The Philippine Cookbook.
Main Ingredient: Herring
Preparation Method: Pan Fried/Sauteed
(more Pan Fried/Sauteed