How to cook Roasted Red Porgy
- 2 whole fresh porgies (white snapper), about 1 1/2 to 2 pounds each
- 4 tablespoons fresh basil
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1 stick butter
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil.
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar (cooking sherry or red vinegar will do)
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Use Porgy head on, scaled and gutted, cut a few slits in the fish so the butter sauce and olive oil will drizzle into the meat and increase the flavor.
- Preheat your oven to 400°F.
- Rub red porgy (white snapper) with salt and pepper and fresh basil.
- Place fish in a baking dish with the wine, vinegar, butter and minced garlic.
- Rub butter over the top of the fish and it will melt into the fish.
- Place in the preheated oven and bake fish uncovered.
- Every 4 to 5 minutes, open the oven door and use a spoon to ladle the olive oil, vinegar and melted butter/garlic mixture and drizzle over fish.
- Repeat this step until most of the butter/wine and vinegar sauce is used up and dehydrated.
- Cooking time should be about 30 minutes. Do not over cook. Take a fork or knife and stick the fish in the thickest part and try to pull a flake of meat away from the bone. If meat pulls away and flakes, it is done. It may take up to 40 minutes to complete the cooking.
- Garnish with parsley if desired. Serve the Roasted Red Porgy immediately while hot with some vegetable salad.
The Mediterranean Roasted Red Porgy is a very affordable dish. This recipe is delicious, simple, and really easy to cook.
, also known as scup, is a lean fish with a coarse texture and delicate flavor, consisting of a large family of fish found in temperate and tropical waters all over the world.
This recipe for Roasted Red Porgy serves/makes: 4 servings
The Roasted Red Porgy recipe and the pictures are adopted from The Our Favorite Fish & Seafood Recipes Cookbook.
Main Ingredient: Porgy
Preparation Method: Baked