How to cook Russian Baked Parmesan Sturgeon
- 4 sturgeon cutlets or steaks (about 6 ounces each)
- 4 ounces grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 carrot
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 handful of fresh parsley (with stalks)
- 4 hard boiled egg yolks
- 8 ounces sour cream
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3 tablespoons dry fine breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Juice of 1/2 a lemon
- Salt and pepper
- Place the sturgeon in a large saucepan together with the carrot, parsley, bay leaf, salt and pepper, bring to the boil then reduce the heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Remove the sturgeon from the pan with a slotted spoon and refrigerate for 2 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 375°F, Gas Mark 5 and lightly butter a shallow oven proof dish. In a small mixing bowl, whisk together the hard boiled egg with sour cream and butter. Set aside.
- Transfer the fish to the greased dish, pour the sour cream mixture over top then sprinkle with the breadcrumbs, lemon juice and vegetable oil.
- Cover the top evenly with the grated Parmesan cheese and bake for 20 minutes.
- Serve the baked sturgeon immediately with fried potatoes.
The Russian name for this recipe is Ossetrina Zapechenaya pod Syrom
Sturgeons are among the world's most valuable wildlife resources. These northern hemisphere fishes can be found in large river systems, lakes, coastal waters and inner seas throughout Azerbaijan, Bulgaria, China, the Islamic Republic of Iran, Kazakhstan, Romania, the Russian Federation, Turkmenistan, Turkey, Ukraine, other European countries and North America.
This recipe for Russian Baked Parmesan Sturgeon serves/makes: 4
The Russian Baked Parmesan Sturgeon recipe and the pictures are adopted from The Our Favorite Fish & Seafood Recipes Cookbook.
Main Ingredient: Sturgeon
Preparation Method: Baked