4 - 6 servings
How to cook Russian Hake Soup
- 1 large or 2 small whole hake (about 1 to 1 1/2 pounds total weight)
- 3-4 small potatoes, cut into small pieces
- 2 small onions, chopped
- 1 medium carrots, cut into small pieces or coarsely grated
- 2 bay leaves
- Salt and freshly grated black pepper to taste
- 2-3 tablespoons olive oil for frying
- 4 cups water
- 2 cloves garlic, minced for garnish (optional)
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped greens (fresh dill and/or parsley) for garnish
- Pour 4 cups of water in a pot and bring to a boil.
- Meanwhile clean the fish, remove the entrails and gills, cut off head and fins.
- Rinse the fish under running cold water and pat dry with paper towels.
- Cut the fish into 1-inch pieces.
- Prepare all vegetables.
- Heat olive oil in a frying pan. Add the grated carrot and chopped onion, saute over medium heat until the onion is soft and translucent.
- Once the water is boiled, add the sauteed vegetables and potatoes to the pot.
- Simmer covered 6-8 minutes, then add the fish pieces, bay leaves, salt and pepper. Simmer covered about 5 additional minutes.
- Then turn off the heat and don’t remove the pot from the oven. Let stand with a lid to infuse for 10 minutes before serving.
- If desired, mix together minced garlic and chopped greens.
- Ladle hot soup into individual serving bowls, sprinkle greens to taste and serve immediately with crackers or bread.
Total time: about 25 mins
The Russian Hake Soup
recipe easy to cook and a healthy one too.
This recipe for Russian Hake Soup serves/makes: 4 - 6 servings
The Russian Hake Soup recipe and the pictures are adopted from The Our Favorite Fish & Seafood Recipes Cookbook.
Main Ingredient: Hake
Preparation Method: Soup/Stew