4 - 6 servings
How to cook Russian Mackerel Soup (Ukha)
- 1 whole mackerel
- 8 cups water
- 3-4 potatoes, cut into small cubes
- 1 carrot, coarsely grated
- 1 onion, chopped
- Finely chopped greens (fresh dill and/or parsley)
- 2 bay leaves
- Salt and freshly grated black pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Pour 8 cups of water in a pot and bring to a boil.
- Meanwhile clean the fish, remove the entrails and gills, cut off head and fins.
- Remove the skin, rinse the fish under running cold water and pat dry with paper towels.
- Cut the fish into 2-inch pieces.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a frying pan. Add the grated carrot and chopped onion, saute over medium heat until the onion is soft and translucent.
- Once the water is boiled, add the sauteed vegetables and fish to the pot.
- Cook 6-8 minutes, then add potatoes, bay leaves, salt and pepper.
- Simmer until the potatoes are done.
- Then turn off the heat and don’t remove the pot from the oven.
- Sprinkle with chopped greens and let stand with a lid to infuse for 10 minutes before serving.
- Ladle ukha into individual serving bowls and serve immediately with crackers or bread.
The Russian Mackerel Soup (Ukha)
recipe easy to cook and a healthy one too.
This recipe for Russian Mackerel Soup (Ukha) serves/makes: 4 - 6 servings
The Russian Mackerel Soup (Ukha) recipe and the pictures are adopted from The Our Favorite Fish & Seafood Recipes Cookbook.
Main Ingredient: Mackerel
Preparation Method: Soup/Stew