6 marinated fillets
How to cook Russian Marinated Mackerel
- 6 skin-on mackerel fillets
- 5 ounces white wine or cider vinegar
- 4 tablespoons sugar
- 2 ounces water
- 1 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed white pepper
- 2 medium red onions, sliced
- Olive oil
- Rinse the fish under running cold water and pat dry with paper towels.
- Pour white wine or cider vinegar and water into a saucepan. Add sugar and salt.
- Cook over low heat, stirring occasionally, until sugar and salt dissolve.
- Let cool the marinade to room temperature. Add white pepper.
- Lay the fillets, skin side up, in a non-reactive container.
- Pour the marinade. Cover tightly with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.
- Then remove the fish from the marinade.
- Rinse under running cold water and cut into bite-size pieces.
- Store the marinated fish pieces in glass jars with sliced red onions in olive oil in the refrigerator.
- Serve the marinated mackerel on pieces of Russian black bread (pumpernickel), with hot broiled potatoes, potato salad, green salad or the accompaniment of your choice.
The Russian Marinated Mackerel
recipe very easy to cook and very tasty too!
This recipe for Russian Marinated Mackerel serves/makes: 6 marinated fillets
The Russian Marinated Mackerel recipe and the pictures are adopted from The Our Favorite Fish & Seafood Recipes Cookbook.
Main Ingredient: Mackerel
Preparation Method: Marinated/Uncooked