How to cook Russian Pollock in Tomato Sauce
- 2 1/2 pounds whole (without head) pollock
- 1 pound carrots
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 middle size onions
- Flour for dredging
- 3/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 cups tomato juice
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried fennel
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- Cut off the fins and cut the fish crosswise into 2-inch pieces. Peel and wash the carrots. Cut into thin rings.
- Peel and wash the onions. Cut into rings. Heat the frying pan with oil and fry the onions and carrots.
- Divide the roasted vegetables into 2 parts. The first part left in the pan and distribute evenly at the bottom. Save the second part for later use.
- Season the fish with salt, roll in flour. Fry the fish in oil over high heat on each side for 2 minutes, until golden brown.
- Lay the fried fish over the cooked vegetables and top with the second saved part of vegetables.
- To prepare sauce combine tomato juice, squeezed garlic (using a garlic press), black pepper, salt, fennel and cumin. Mix well.
- Pour the sauce over the fish with vegetables. Simmer for about 40 minutes covered with lid on low heat.
- Serve the Russian Pollock in Tomato Sauce warm.
The Russian name of Pollock in Tomato Sauce is Ryba pod Marinadom. Ryba pod Marinadom
is very popular Russian dish. Usually made from firm, white-fleshed, salt water fish.
This warm, spicy marinate with its rich partnership of flavors is perfect complement to lightly fried fish.
“Marinade” is a veg (carrot-onion) sauce that the fish is covered and served with. This dish can be served hot with mashed potatoes or steamed rice as a main course or at room temperature as an appetizer. Some add ground clove, cinnamon and vinegar.
Ryba pod Marinadom is delicious, easy to prepare and very effective on the table.
This recipe for Russian Pollock in Tomato Sauce serves/makes: 6 servings
The Russian Pollock in Tomato Sauce recipe and the pictures are adopted from The Our Favorite Fish & Seafood Recipes Cookbook.
Main Ingredient: Pollock
Preparation Method: Soup/Stew