6 - 8
How to cook Russian Salad - Herring in Shuba
- 2 thick salted herrings
- 5 potatoes
- 4 carrots
- 3 beets
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- 4 eggs, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- Parsley and dill
- Boil vegetables until they are ready (you can boil vegetables in 1 pan). Boil eggs hard.
- Peel skin from herrings, cut them along the spine. Take all bones away. Cut herring meat into very little pieces and always check for bones.
- Grind potatoes, carrots, eggs, and beets. Take a large dish.
- Place a layer of potatoes whole portion. Then spread mayonnaise evenly (thin layer). Use a fork to plane the layers. Then layer of beets 1/2 of portion, then layer of carrots 1/2 of portion, then chopped onion 1/2 of portion and finally - herring meat.
- Then 2 layers backwards: onion, carrots. Place a layer of 3 chopped eggs, and then beets.
- On top pour remaining mayonnaise.
- Add 1 more layer of 1 chopped egg to make the dish beautiful and decorate with chopped parsley and dill.
- Let it soaked at least overnight.
- This herring salad must look like a cake.
- It is a very colorful and tasty appetizer...
The Russian Salad Herring in Shuba is a very affordable dish. Delicious, simple, and easy recipe. This recipe is a great idea for appetizer.
The Russian name is "Selyodka pod Shouboy", that means "Herring under fur coat". It is a traditional national dish for any events. You can call it, for example, Dressed Herring. Dressed Herring is loved and considered one of the most delicious salads by Russians everywhere. Different variations just will show your artistical skills, because of colorful slices. Try and enjoy!
This recipe for Russian Salad - Herring in Shuba serves/makes: 6 - 8
The Russian Salad - Herring in Shuba recipe and the pictures are adopted from The Our Favorite Fish & Seafood Recipes Cookbook.
Main Ingredient: Herring
Preparation Method: Salad