How to cook Scallops Provencal
- 1 pound shelled fresh scallops
- 2 1/2 oz plain flour
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 ounces butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped spring onions or shallots
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 4 tablespoons soft white bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- Clean any dark veins from the scallops and slit each horizontally if large, leaving the coral (roe) attached to one half. Place half the flour with salt and pepper to taste in a plastic bag, add half the scallops and shake well to coat. Tip into a colander or sieve and carefully shake off the excess flour.
- Heat a quarter of the butter with half the oil in a heavy frying pan until sizzling. Add the floured scallops in a single layer and cook quickly, turning after 1 minute. Remove to a heated dish. Flour the remaining scallops and cook in the same amount of butter and oil. Cover and keep warm.
- Add the remaining butter to the pan with the shallots and garlic and cook gently for about 6 minutes over a low heat until the shallots soften. Sprinkle in 1 tablespoon of flour, stir well and cook for 1 minute. Whisk in the wine and lemon juice, stirring constantly, until bubbling. Add the scallops and parsley to the pan, carefully coating them with sauce. Remove immediately from the heat.
- Divide the scallops between four scallop shells or small, shallow ramekins, sprinkle with bread crumbs, and drizzle the melted butter over them. Place under a hot grill until golden. Serve immediately.
The Scallops Provencal recipe very easy to prepare and so good!
The French name for this recipe is Coquilles St Jacques a La Provencale
In France the scallop is called a coquille St Jacques, literally a St James shellfish (in Canadian French, petoncle is more commonly used).
This recipe for Scallops Provencal serves/makes: 4
The Scallops Provencal recipe and the pictures are adopted from The Our Favorite Fish & Seafood Recipes Cookbook.
Main Ingredient: Scallops
Preparation Method: Pan Fried/Sauteed
(more Pan Fried/Sauteed