How to cook Scallops au Gratin
- 2 to 2 1/2 pounds fresh or frozen raw scallops
- 2 cups fine bread crumbs, divided
- 4 tablespoons melted butter, divided
- 3/4 cup diced green pepper
- 3/4 cup diced celery
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 1 1/2 cups light cream or half-and-half
- Barely cover scallops with cold water in saucepan and slowly bring to the boiling point. Remove from heat; drain.
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C).
- Mix 1 1/2 cups of the bread crumbs with 2 tablespoons of the melted butter. Divide mixture into thirds and spread 1/3 in a thin layer in a buttered freezer-to-oven casserole.
- If the scallops are large, cut into smaller pieces.
- Build up alternating layers of bread crumbs, scallops and green peppers combined with celery, seasoning lightly as you go.
- Create top layer from remaining bread crumbs mixed with remaining butter and the grated cheese.
- Slowly pour in cream, distributing evenly. Bake 25-30 minutes.
- Serve the Scallops au Gratin immediately.
This recipe for Scallops au Gratin serves/makes: 6 servings
The Scallops au Gratin recipe and the pictures are adopted from The Our Favorite Fish & Seafood Recipes Cookbook.
Main Ingredient: Scallops
Preparation Method: Baked