6 - 8
How to cook Scandinavian Marinated Smelts or Sardines
- 2 pounds fresh smelts or sardines
- 3 tablespoons dill, chopped
- Dill sprigs, to garnish
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoons sugar
- White pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon French mustard
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup white vinegar
- 2 tablespoons water
- Clean, skin and fillet smelts. Rinse well under cold running water and drain.
- Sprinkle dill on bottom of bowl and alternate layers of smelt fillets and dill.
- Mix remaining ingredients and pour over fish. Place in refrigerator 3-4 hours.
- Garnsih the marinated smelts fillets with dill sprigs and serve cold.
The Scandinavian Marinated Sardines Or Smelts is a very affordable dish. Delicious, simple, and easy recipe.
Fresh smelts should be stored refrigerated at 32°F to 40°F (0°C to 4°C), excess liquid drained, packed into airtight containers and eaten within 3 to 4 days, or 1 to 2 days when fried.
Smelts should be frozen at 0°F (-18°C), into airtight food containers, immediately after buying bought frozen, smelts should be eaten within 4 to 6 months for maximum freshness.
This recipe for Scandinavian Marinated Smelts or Sardines serves/makes: 6 - 8
The Scandinavian Marinated Smelts or Sardines recipe and the pictures are adopted from The Our Favorite Fish & Seafood Recipes Cookbook.
Main Ingredient: Smelt
Preparation Method: Marinated/Uncooked