How to cook Simmered Squid (Adobo Pusit)
- 1 kg (approximately 2 pounds) squid
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 cup white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon peppercorn
- 1 pinch of salt
- 1 head garlic (roughly chopped)
- 1 medium onion (roughly chopped)
- 3 pieces tomatoes (diced)
- 1/2 tablespoon sugar (optional)
- 3 tablespoons oil
- Wash and clean squid well. Remove the long thin membrane in the head and slit the eyes to bring out the ink.
- In a deep pan, bring the water to a boil along with the squid, vinegar, pepper and salt.
- Cover and cook slowly until the squids are tender.
- Take out the cooked squid and cut into 1/2 inch slices crosswise, set aside.
- Strain the sauce (the liquid in which squid were boiled), set aside.
- In another pan, saute garlic, onion and tomatoes.
- Add the squid and pour the sauce.
- Add sugar if desired and simmer for 7-10 minutes.
- Serve hot with steamed rice.
The Simmered Squid (Adobo Pusit) is a very affordable dish. This recipe is delicious, simple, and really easy to cook.
Adobo (a Filipino dish cooked in vinegar and soy sauce) is a Filipino food favorite. May the recipe be done with pork, chicken or a combination of both. It could be also good with beef or fish. There are lots of variations in cooking adobo recipe.
Kining sud-ana makasingot sa ka lami. (This kind of food will make you sweat with its good taste).
This recipe for Simmered Squid (Adobo Pusit) serves/makes: 4
The Simmered Squid (Adobo Pusit) recipe and the pictures are adopted from The Our Favorite Fish & Seafood Recipes Cookbook.
Main Ingredient: Squid/Cuttlefish
Preparation Method: Poached/Simmered