8 - 10
How to cook Simmered Whitefish with New Potatoes
- 4 pounds fresh lake whitefish steaks (about 3/4 inch thick)
- 8-12 small peeled onions
- 8-12 medium sized new potatoes
- 1 cup salt
- Drawn butter
- Fresh parsley
- Lemon wedges
- Use an 8 quart stockpot (with an inner basket) to heat 5 quarts of water over a high heat to a boil.
- Place the potatoes in the boiling water and cover the pot. Bring the water to a boil again and add the onions and salt. Cover the pot and simmer over a medium heat for 18-20 minutes. Regulate the heat to maintain a steady boil.
- Add the whitefish steaks, cover again, and simmer an additional 12-15 minutes. Poke the fish and potatoes to test for doneness. (Cooking time may vary depending on the size of the potatoes and the thickness if the steaks.)
- Carefully remove the inner basket from the stockpot. Serve with drawn butter, parsley and lemon wedges.
- Compliment the Simmered Whitefish with New Potatoes dish with coleslaw, garlic bread and pickles.
This recipe for Simmered Whitefish with New Potatoes serves/makes: 8 - 10
The Simmered Whitefish with New Potatoes recipe and the pictures are adopted from The Our Favorite Fish & Seafood Recipes Cookbook.
Main Ingredient: Whitefish
Preparation Method: Poached/Simmered