How to cook Simple and Easy Smelt in Tomato Sauce
- 1 1/2 pound smelt (or capelin)
- 1 tablespoon vinegar, diluted in 1 tablespoon water
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup tomato puree or 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- Grated or whole 1 bay leaf
- Salt, pepper and sugar to taste
- Gut the smelt, remove the head, rinse with cold water and pat dry. Drizzle with diluted vinegar.
- Then lay the fish tightly in a single layer in a shallow baking dish.
- Combine oil, tomato puree, bay leaf, salt, pepper and sugar. Mix well.
- Pour this mixture over the fish.
- Simmer over medium heat, covered with a lid, for about 40 minutes.
- Serve the Simple and Easy Smelt in Tomato Sauce hot with boiled potatoes or mashed potatoes and fresh vegetable salad.
The Simple and Easy Smelt in Tomato Sauce
is a very affordable dish. This recipe is delicious, simple, and really easy to cook.
This recipe for Simple and Easy Smelt in Tomato Sauce serves/makes: 4 servings
The Simple and Easy Smelt in Tomato Sauce recipe and the pictures are adopted from The Our Favorite Fish & Seafood Recipes Cookbook.
Main Ingredient: Smelt
Preparation Method: Poached/Simmered