about 1/2 pound salmon for each serving
How to cook Smoked Salmon Lox
- 1 each fresh salmon side, boneless
- 1 pound Kosher salt
- 1/4 pound granulated sugar
- 1/4 pound light brown sugar
- 1/2 ounce ground black pepper
- 1/2 ounce allspice
- 1/2 ounce ground ginger
- Place the salmon, skin side down, in a suitably sized non-metallic pan. Mix all dry ingredients well, then place on salmon to completely cover.
- Cover the pan and refrigerate the salmon for 18 hours.
- Remove from the refrigerator and rinse all seasoning off the salmon. Drain well and pat dry.
- Return the salmon to a clean, dry pan and place in the refrigerator for 12 hours, UNCOVERED, to allow the salmon to 'dry'.
- Cold-smoke the salmon according to your smoker oven's manufacturer directions.
- Use approximately 2 ounces hickory wood with the temperature set at 100 degrees.
- Smoke the salmon for 15-20 minutes, the turn the smoker OFF and allow to stand, without opening the door, for 4-5 hours.
- Please note that if the salmon is cooked over 100 degrees, it can become mushy in texture.
This recipe for Smoked Salmon Lox serves/makes: about 1/2 pound salmon for each serving
The Smoked Salmon Lox recipe and the pictures are adopted from The Our Favorite Fish & Seafood Recipes Cookbook.
Main Ingredient: Salmon
Preparation Method: Smoked