How to cook South African Apple and Almond Hake
- 4 hake fillets (about 6 ounces each)
- 1/4 cup flour
- 3 teaspoons cayenne
- 2 Granny Smith apples
- Fresh lemon juice
- 2 ounces flaked almonds
- Salt and milled black pepper
Spicy Parsley Sauce Ingredients:
- Season the hake with salt and pepper and dust lightly with the flour and cayenne. Slice the apples into wedges and sprinkle with lemon juice to prevent discoloring.
- Heat a non-stick frying pan and toast the almonds over gentle heat, tossing them to brown evenly, then set aside.
- Add butter and oil to the frying pan and lightly brown the apple wedges-very quickly, so that they do not become mushy. Set aside the apples separately from the almonds.
- Increase the heat and fry the fish, adding extra butter if necessary. The cooking time will be about 4-5 minutes, when the fish should be crispy-brown and perfectly cooked. Transfer it to a warmed serving platter and keep warm while preparing the Spicy Parsley Sauce (see below).
- To retain the crispness of the fish, garnish the platter with apple wedges, scatter over the toasted almonds, and serve the Spicy Parsley Sauce separately.
How to cook Spicy Parsley Sauce
- 2 ounces butter
- 1 tablespoon sunflower oil
- 2 tablespoons cake flour
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 1 Jalapeno chile, seeds and stems removed, minced
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 1/2 cup cream
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- Working off the heat, blend the flour and parsley and jalapeno into the pan juices.
- Slowly add the wine, cream and lemon juice, then stir over high heat for a couple of minutes until the sauce is smooth and thickened.
- Add a little water if the sauce is too thick and season with salt and pepper.
A dusting of cayenne enhances this South African recipe. The apples, lemons and almond create a textural delight feel free to substitute any firm white fish for the hake.
This recipe for South African Apple and Almond Hake serves/makes: 4
The South African Apple and Almond Hake recipe and the pictures are adopted from The Our Favorite Fish & Seafood Recipes Cookbook.
Main Ingredient: Hake
Preparation Method: Pan Fried/Sauteed
(more Pan Fried/Sauteed