4 - 6
How to cook South African Curried Fish Soup
- 1 pound haddock fillets with skin removed, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 cups coarsely chopped onions
- 2 large carrots, sliced
- 2 tablespoons curry powder, preferably Madras type
- 3 medium-sized firm, ripe tomatoes, peeled, seeded, coarsely chopped OR substitute 1 cup chopped, drained canned tomatoes
- Fish Stock (see the recipe below)
- 2 teaspoons malt vinegar
- 1 teaspoon light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 medium-sized boiling potatoes (about 1 pound), peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 2 hard-cooked eggs, the yolks rubbed through a sieve and the whites finely chopped
Fish Stock Ingredients:
- Cook the Fish Stock first.
- Heat the oil in a heavy 4 to 5 quart saucepan over moderate heat until a light haze forms above it. Drop in the onions and carrots and, stirring frequently, cook for about 5 minutes, until they are soft but not brown. Add the curry powder and stir for a minute or so. Then add the tomatoes and, still stirring, boil briskly until most of the liquid in the pan has evaporated and the mixture is thick enough to hold its shape almost solidly in the spoon.
- Add the fish stock, vinegar, sugar and 1 teaspoon of salt, and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat to low and simmer partially covered for 15 minutes. Add the cubed potatoes, simmer 5 minutes longer, then add the haddock. Cover and cook over low heat about 8 to 10 minutes, until the potatoes are tender and the fish flakes easily when prodded gently with a fork.
- Taste for seasonings and serve at once. Just before serving, sprinkle the fish soup with the hard-cooked eggs.
How to cook Fish Stock
- 3 pounds fish trimming; bones, heads and tails from any white-fleshed fish
- 1 medium-sized onion, peeled
- 1 large bay leaf
- 6 whole black peppercorns
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 quarts water
- First, cook the fish stock in the following fashion: Combine the fish trimmings, whole onion, bay leaf, peppercorns and 2 teaspoons salt in a 4 to 5 quart enameled or stainless-steel casserole or pot.
- Pour in the water and bring to a boil over high heat.
- Reduce the heat to low, cover partially, and simmer for 30 minutes.
The South African Curried Fish Soup recipe easy to prepare and so good!
This recipe for South African Curried Fish Soup serves/makes: 4 - 6
The South African Curried Fish Soup recipe and the pictures are adopted from The Our Favorite Fish & Seafood Recipes Cookbook.
Main Ingredient: Haddock
Preparation Method: Soup/Stew