8 as a first course
How to cook South African Pickled Halibut
- 2 pounds halibut steaks, sliced about 1-inch thick
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 3 large onions, peeled and cut crosswise into 1/8-inch thick slices
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 4 tablespoons finely chopped fresh hot chilies
- 3 tablespoons curry powder, preferably Madras type
- 1 tablespoon scraped, finely chopped fresh ginger root
- 2 large bay leaves, crumbled, plus 2 whole large bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 cups malt vinegar
- 1 cup water
- Starting at least 2 days ahead, heat 1/2 cup of the vegetable oil in a heavy 10 to 12-inch skillet over moderate heat until a light haze forms above it. Pat the halibut completely dry with paper towels and place the steaks in the hot oil. Turning the fish with a slotted spatula, fry the steaks for 3 or 4 minutes on each side, or until they are golden brown. As they brown, transfer them to paper towels to drain and cool.
- Prepare a marinade in the following fashion:
- Pour off and discard the oil remaining in the skillet and wipe the skillet dry with paper towels. Pour in 1/4 cup of vegetable oil and heat it until a light haze forms above it. Drop in the onions and, stirring frequently, cook for 8 to 10 minutes, or until they are soft and golden brown. Watch carefully for any signs of burning and regulate heat accordingly. Add the sugar, chilies, curry powder, ginger root, crumbled bay leaves, coriander and salt, and stir over low heat for 2 minutes. Stirring constantly, pour in the vinegar and water in a slow thin stream. Bring to a boil over high heat, reduce the heat to low, and simmer the marinade uncovered for 10 minutes.
- Remove the skin and bones from the halibut and cut the meat into 1 1/2 -inch squares. Spread about 1/3 of the halibut evenly in a glass or enameled serving dish about 8-inches in diameter and 4-inches deep. Cover the fish with a cup or so of the marinade, then add another layer of the halibut. Add a second cup of marinade, the remaining fish, and finally the rest of the marinade left in the skillet. Place the 2 whole bay leaves on top and cover the dish tightly with plastic wrap.
- Marinate the pickled halibut in the refrigerator for at least 2 days. Serve it with the onions from the dish in which it has marinated, moistening each portion with a spoonful or so of the liquid.
The South African Pickled Halibut recipe easy to prepare and so good!
This recipe for South African Pickled Halibut serves/makes: 8 as a first course
The South African Pickled Halibut recipe and the pictures are adopted from The Our Favorite Fish & Seafood Recipes Cookbook.
Main Ingredient: Halibut
Preparation Method: Pan Fried/Sauteed
(more Pan Fried/Sauteed