How to cook Spanish Hake in Cider (Merluza a la Sidra)
- 6 hake fillets (about 6 ounces each)
- 6 shallots
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 sprig of parsley
- 1 cup cider
- 2 tablespoons pouring cream
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3 large potatoes
- Salt and pepper
- Wash the hake fillets and dry with a paper towel.
- Peel the potatoes, wash and dry them and cut them into thick rounds.
- Place the potatoes and the butter in the bottom of an oven-proof dish and put them in the oven at a medium setting to cook while you prepare the fish.
- Peel and finely chop the shallots.
- Peel and crush the garlic and mix it in the mortar with the finely chopped parsley.
- Season the hake fillets and add it to the dish of potatoes. Sprinkle the garlic, parsley and onion mixture on top.
- Then cover the hake fillets with the cider and bake in a preheated oven (375 degrees F / 180 degrees C) for 15 minutes until the fish is cooked, adding the cream five minutes before completion.
- Serve directly from the oven.
The Spanish Hake in cider (Merluza a la Sidra) is a very affordable dish. Delicious, simple, and easy recipe.
Merluza a la Sidra is Spanish traditional recipe. This recipe mixes the delicate flavor of hake with sweet cider to produce a delicious Spanish fish dish.
Spanish cider was often presented at family occasions as a substitute for cava during and immediately after the Franco dictatorship when the standard of living was lower than it is now. It is still presented in bottles as if it were a fizzy wine, rather than in cans, has a more refined taste and is certainly not drunk by the half-pint as it is in some countries. If you don't live in Spain, buy a dry cider rather than a sweet one.
Hake is a white-fleshed fish of the cod family and is also known as Ling and Whiting. Good substitues are Cod, Ocean Perch, Pollock, Sea Bass and Red Snapper.
This recipe for Spanish Hake in Cider (Merluza a la Sidra) serves/makes: 4
The Spanish Hake in Cider (Merluza a la Sidra) recipe and the pictures are adopted from The Our Favorite Fish & Seafood Recipes Cookbook.
Main Ingredient: Hake
Preparation Method: Baked