How to cook Spanish Hake with Spinach
- 4 thick hake or whiting fillets, about 6 ounces each
- 1 1/2 pound spinach
- 3 tablespoons plain flour
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 5 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts
- 1/2 cup dry sherry
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped parsley
- Discard any damaged leaves and coarse stems from the spinach. Wash the spinach well in several changes of water and drain in a colander.
- Tear the leaves coarsely, and place in a large saucepan with a tablespoon of water over a medium heat for 4-5 minutes, tossing often. Drain in a colander and press with the back of a wooden spoon to extract moisture. Transfer to a board and chop finely.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C).
- Coat the fish with flour seasoned with salt and pepper to taste. Heat 2 tablespoons of the oil in a frying pan.
- Add the fish and brown quickly on each side. Remove to a plate. Wipe out the pan with kitchen paper.
- Heat half the remaining oil, add the onion and cook gently for about 10 minutes, until transparent. Mix the garlic with the onion and cook for 1 minute, then stir in the spinach and transfer to a shallow oven-proof dish.
- Sprinkle with the pine nuts and place the fish on top. Drizzle over the remaining oil and sprinkle with the sherry.
- Bake for about 15-20 minutes, until the fish flakes when tested with a knife point.
- Sprinkle with parsley and serve hot directly from the dish.
The Spanish Hake with Spinach recipe very easy to prepare and so good!
The Spanish name for this recipe is Merluza Con Espinacas
This recipe for Spanish Hake with Spinach serves/makes: 4
The Spanish Hake with Spinach (Merluza Con Espinacas) recipe is adopted from The Complete Spanish Cookbook.
Main Ingredient: Hake
Preparation Method: Baked