How to cook Spanish Tapas Broiled Sardines with Cucumber
- 30 butterflied sardines,* without heads
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 cloves garlic, sliced
- 1 tablespoon fresh oregano leaves
- 1 short, thin cucumber
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- Place half the sardines in a singel layer in a nonreactive dish. Combine the olive and vegetable oils, lemon juice, galric and oregano leaves and pour half over the sardines. Top with the remaining sardines and pour the rest of the oil mixture over. Cover with plastic wrap and marinate for 30 minutes in the refrigerator.
- Meanwhile, using a wide vegetable peeler, peel strips lengthwise off the cucumber, making four even sides and avoiding peeling off any cucumber with seeds. You should get 15 slices of cucumber. Cut in half to get 30 slices the same length as the sardines.
- Lay the cucumber strips flat around the sides and base of a colander and sprinkle with sugar and a little salt. Place over a bowl. Let stand for 15 minutes to drain off any juices.
- Preheat the broiler. Wash the cucumber well and dry with paper towels. Place a slice of cucumber on the flesh side of each sardine and roll up. Secure with cocktail picks.
- Place half the sardines under the broiler and cook for 5 minutes, or until cooked through. Repeat with the remaining sardines.
- Serve the Broiled Sardines with Cucumber warm, perhaps with a bowl of tzatziki.**
The Spanish Tapas Broiled Sardines with Cucumber recipe very easy to prepare and so good!
are sardines that have been gutted, boned and opened out flat.
**Tzatziki is traditional Greek yogurt, cucumber, and garlic dip.Tapas
are Spanish style appetizers, which are served in small portions and eaten informally in bars before a hearty lunchtime meal or at the end of a workday.
This recipe for Spanish Tapas Broiled Sardines with Cucumber serves/makes: 30 sardines
The Spanish Tapas Broiled Sardines with Cucumber recipe is adopted from Tapas Spanish Appetizers by Anne Wilson.
Main Ingredient: Sardines
Preparation Method: Broiled/Grilled