How to cook Spanish Tapas Marinated Sardines
- 12 fresh sardines
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1/2 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 2 bay leaves
- 6 black peppercorns
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon dry thyme
- To clean the sardines, scrape a small knife along the body of each sardine, starting from the tail end, to remove the scales. This is best done under cold running water. Make a slit along the gut. Cut the head and pull it away from the body slowly so that the intestines come away with the head. Open the cut cavity and clean away the remaining intestines. Pat the sardines dry on paper towels.
- Sprinkle the sardines inside and out with the salt. Place the flour in a shallow dish and toss the sardines in the flour, shaking off the excess. Heat half the oil in a skillet over medium heat and fry the sardines in batches for 2-3 minutes on each side, or until browned all over and crips.
- Place the sardines in a glass or ceramic dish and fit tightly into a single layer. Wipe the skillet clean with paper towels.
- Heat the remaining oil in the same skillet over medium heat and add the garlic. Cook for 1-2 minutes, or until lightly browned. Place the garlic in the dish with the sardines. Add the red wine vinegar, white wine, bay leaves, peppercorns, paprika and thyme to the pan and simmer over low heat for 2 minutes. Set aside to cool for about 30 minutes.
- Pour the reduced mixture over the fried sardines, cover and refrigerate overnight, turning the sardines once during this time. Remove the sardines from the refrigerator at least 30 minutes before you are ready to serve.
- Serve the marinated sardines cold.
The Spanish Tapas Marinated Sardines recipe very easy to prepare and so good!
are Spanish style appetizers, which are served in small portions and eaten informally in bars before a hearty lunchtime meal or at the end of a workday.
This recipe for Spanish Tapas Marinated Sardines serves/makes: 12 sardines
The Spanish Tapas Marinated Sardines recipe is adopted from Tapas Spanish Appetizers by Anne Wilson.
Main Ingredient: Sardines
Preparation Method: Pan Fried/Sauteed
(more Pan Fried/Sauteed