How to cook Spiced Marinated Herring with Red Onion
- 2 (12-ounce) jars wine snack herring fillets, drained
- 1 large red onion, thinly sliced
- Chopped fresh parsley (optional)
- 1 cup distilled white vinegar
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup water
- 12 whole cloves, coarsely crushed
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon whole black peppercorns
- Combine all marinade ingredients in medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Reduce heat and simmer 5 minutes. Remove marinade from heat; cool completely.
- Alternate layers of herring and onion slices in medium bowl. Pour marinade over. Cover and refrigerate at least 1 day and up to 1 week.
- Sprinkle chopped parsley over top, if desired, and serve.
The Spiced Marinated Herring with Red Onion recipe easy to prepare and so good! Usually this dish is served on Christmas Day.
This recipe for Spiced Marinated Herring with Red Onion serves/makes: 12
The Spiced Marinated Herring with Red Onion recipe and the pictures are adopted from The Our Favorite Fish & Seafood Recipes Cookbook.
Main Ingredient: Herring
Preparation Method: Marinated/Uncooked