How to cook Squid in Spicy Tomato Sauce
- 1 3/4 pounds squid, cleaned and cut into rings
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 medium carrot, finely chopped
- 3-5 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 5 ounces dry white wine
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 (14-ounce) cans chunky tomatoes in their own juice
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Lemon slices for garnish
- Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a skillet and put in the chopped onion and carrot.
- Cook over medium heat about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the cayenne pepper and oregano, cook 1 minute more.
- Pour in the wine, bring to a boil and simmer for about 5 minutes.
- Add the mashed tomatoes with juice (you can chop them in a blender), bring to a boil again and simmer without a lid for 10-15 minutes, until sauce begins to thicken and all vegetables are soft.
- Then, add the squid rings, salt and pepper.
- Simmer, stirring occasionally, for about 2 minutes, until tender. (Do not overcook or the calamari rings become chewy like rubber!)
- Serve the Squid in Spicy Tomato Sauce hot with lemon slices.
- Goes well with steamed plain rice (as a side dish) or a sauce for pasta.
The Squid in Spicy Tomato Sauce
recipe very easy to cook and very tasty too!
This recipe for Squid in Spicy Tomato Sauce serves/makes: 4 servings
The Squid in Spicy Tomato Sauce recipe and the pictures are adopted from The Our Favorite Fish & Seafood Recipes Cookbook.
Main Ingredient: Squid/Cuttlefish
Preparation Method: Poached/Simmered