How to cook Stuffed Herrings
- 4 fresh whole herrings
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- 2 mushrooms
- 1 ounce butter
- 1 crushed clove garlic
- 3 tablespoons fresh white breadcrumbs
- 2 hard-boiled eggs
- 1 rasher bacon
- A little cream
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Mustard sauce or lemon segments to garnish
- Remove the backbones from the herrings, wash the fish well and pat them dry.
- Chop the mushrooms and the hard-boiled eggs. Cut the bacon rasher into dice.
- Fry the bacon in the butter and add the mushrooms and the garlic. Combine with the rest of the ingredients, season well and bind with a little cream. Divide the stuffing into 4 portions and stuff each herring with it.
- Butter an oven-proof dish well and put the fish into it. Dab the top of each fish with a little more butter and bake them in the oven at 375°F (190°C) for 20 to 25 minutes or until the herring gives when pressed firmly with the finger.
- Serve the Stuffed Herrings with a mustard sauce or with lemon segments.
The Stuffed Herrings recipe easy to prepare and so good!
This recipe for Stuffed Herrings serves/makes: 8
The Stuffed Herrings recipe and the pictures are adopted from The Our Favorite Fish & Seafood Recipes Cookbook.
Main Ingredient: Herring
Preparation Method: Baked