How to cook Stuffed Pomfret with Green Masala
- 2 whole white pomfret (avoli), about 2 pounds weight each, cleaned
- 1/4 teaspoons turmeric powder
- 1/2 tablespoon pepper powder
- Lemon juice of 1/2 lemon
- Salt to taste Stuffing:
- 30 prawns (shrimps) medium size
- 1 cup fresh coriander leaves
- 1/2 cup mint leaves, chopped
- 1/2 cup shredded fresh coconut
- 4 tablespoons green pepper corns crushed (pachakurumulaku)
- 5 bird’s eye chilli (Kaanthari mulaku)
- 1 betel leaf (This will give a little spicy/pungent taste to the green masala. Betel leaf has several medicinal values also)
- 4 - 5 cloves garlic
- 1 inch stick of ginger
- Lemon juice of 1/2 lemon
- Oil for frying
- Clean the fish and cut open the stomach of the fish. Remove the gills and wash the fish thoroughly.
- Lay the fish flat on a cutting board and slide in the knife and slit open length wise close to its bone reaching to the tail. .
- Do not cut open all the way through. It should resemble a pocket. .
- Squeeze lemon juice and let the fish rest for two minutes and wash again. This will help to eliminate the fishy smell.
- Make a paste of turmeric powder, pepper powder, salt, and lemon juice and marinade the fish and keep aside for 10-15 minutes.
- To make stuffing:
- De-vein and remove stalk of the betel leaf, then blanch in boiling water for 3 - 4 minutes.
- Make a smooth paste of Coriander leaves , mint leaves, coconut, green pepper corns,bird's eye chilli (kaanthaari), blanched betel leaf, garlic and ginger and set aside.
- Heat oil in a pan and add finely chopped onion and saute till onion changes color.
- Now add the green masala paste and saute for a minute till the raw flavor disappears.
- Next add cleaned and chopped prawns. Cover and cook for about three minutes and till the masala become dry.
- Switch off the flame and allow to completely cool before stuffing the fish.
- Once the stuffing comes to the room temperature, fill the pockets of the fish with this masala paste.
- By using a kitchen twine or strands from banana plant (Vaazha naaru) gently go around the fish two or three times and tie a knot. This will help to keep the filling masala intact.
- Heat 1/3 cup of oil a pan and fry the stuffed fish in a low medium flame (you can also cover with a lid for two minutes while frying to ensure that it gets properly cooked). Fry till both sides are evenly browned up or cooked.
- Serve hot with lemon wedges.
This recipe for Stuffed Pomfret with Green Masala serves/makes: 6
The Stuffed Pomfret with Green Masala recipe and the pictures are adopted from The Our Favorite Fish & Seafood Recipes Cookbook.
Main Ingredient: Pomfret
Preparation Method: Pan Fried/Sauteed
(more Pan Fried/Sauteed