How to cook Swedish Creamy Herring Salad
- 2 (6-ounce) jars wine-flavored pickled herring pieces, drained and diced small
- 1 (1-pound) can pickled beets, sliced and diced small (drain and reserve liquid)
- 1 green apple (unpeeled), cored and diced small
- 1/2 pound new potatoes (unpeeled), cooked and diced small
- 1/2 cup finely diced cooked beef or veal
- 2 tablespoons yellow onion, peeled and diced small
- 1/3 cup finely chopped dill pickle
- 2 hard-boiled egg yolks, chopped or grated, to garnish
- 6 tablespoons reserved beet liquid
- 2 tablespoons distilled white vinegar
- 1-2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 pinch freshly ground black pepper
- Salt to taste
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- Mix all of the ingredients for the salad in a salad bowl.
- Blend all of the dressing ingredients except the whipping cream.
- Stir the dressing into the salad.
- Whip the cream and gently fold into the salad.
- Garnish with the chopped or grated egg yolk.
The Swedish Creamy Herring Salad is a very affordable dish. Delicious, simple, and easy recipe. This recipe is a great idea for appetizer.
Salted, pickled, and cured herring are available in bulk at Jewish, Russian, Ukrainian or Polish delis and can also be found in jar at supermarket.
This recipe for Swedish Creamy Herring Salad serves/makes: 8
The Swedish Creamy Herring Salad recipe is adopted from The Frugal Gourmet On Our Immigrant Ancestors by Jeff Smith 1990.
Main Ingredient: Herring
Preparation Method: Salad