How to cook Sweet and Sour Crispy Flounder
- 2 whole flounder (about 1pound each) or 1 whole bream, snapper, luderick (about 1 3/4 pounds)
- 1 beaten egg
- Salt to taste
- 3 tablespoons grape seed oil
Sweet and Sour Sauce:
- 1 small onion, cut in half and sliced long ways
- 3 pineapple rings, chopped
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- 1/2 cup red and green capsicum, coarsely chopped
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoon fresh ginger, finely grated or chopped
- 2 teaspoon cornflour
- 2 tablespoons water
- Clean the fish, leaving the head and tail on. Wash and dry well with kitchen towels.
- Make diagonal cuts into the fish skin and rub well with salt.
- Dip the fish into the beaten egg and then thoroughly coat in the cornflour. It is now ready to cook.
- Combine all of the sauce ingredients, except the cornflour and water in a saucepan and cook over a medium heat until all of the sugar has dissolved.
- Mix the cornflour with the cold water and add to the sauce and stir well over heat until the sauce starts to thicken. Turn down the heat and keep warm while cooking the fish. If the sauce thickens too much, add more water.
- To cook the fish, put the grape seed oil into a heavy fry pan, or better still, a well oiled wok. Heat the oil until almost smoking and then place the fish carefully into the pan or wok. Spoon some oil over the top of the fish while it cooks. The idea is that it should cook quickly to give a crispy skin, but not burn. Check after a couple of minutes and when crisp, turn the fish over.
- When crisp on both sides, remove the fish, place on a serving plate and pour over the sweet and sour sauce
The Sweet and Sour Crispy Flounder recipe very easy to prepare and so good!
Any small whole sized fish can be used, however preferably not too thick because we need to get the skin crisp. Overall the dish has to be cooked quickly in a hot pan and if the fish is thick, it will not cook all the way through.
This recipe for Sweet and Sour Crispy Flounder serves/makes: 4
The Sweet and Sour Crispy Flounder recipe and the pictures are adopted from The Our Favorite Fish & Seafood Recipes Cookbook.
Main Ingredient: Flounder/Plaice
Preparation Method: Pan Fried/Sauteed
(more Pan Fried/Sauteed