How to cook Sweet and Sour Fish (Lapu-Lapu)
- 2 whole lapu-lapu fish (grouper), about 1 1/3 pounds total weight
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated black pepper
- 3 tablespoons corn flour
- 1 cup cooking oil (depending on your frying pan)
- 1 thumb-sized ginger, sliced thinly
- 4 cloves garlic, mincedLI>1 whole onion, sliced
- 2 whole tomato, sliced
- 1 piece carrot, julienned
- 1 piece red bell pepper, julienned
- For Sweet and Sour Sauce:
- 3/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sweet Thai chilli sauce
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon corn flour
- 3 teaspoons sugar - adjust to your preference
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Clean the fish. Make a cut about half-inch deep by 3-inches long along the length on both sides of the fish. Season with salt and pepper all over the fish.
- Sprinkle with corn flour on both sides.
- Heat the cooking oil in a frying pan over high heat. Fry the fish until the crisp flour coating is formed and color turned to light golden brown, flip to the other side to cook evenly.
- Remove the fish from the oil and place in a strainer to allow excess oil to drip off.
- In a separate pan, transfer 2 tablespoons of oil. Saute the ginger, garlic, onions and tomato. Stir.
- Cook for a minute. Add carrots and red bell pepper. Cook for 2 minutes.
- Pour the sweet-sour sauce mixture and bring to a boil for 1 minute.
- Turn off the heat. Place the fish on a platter then pour the sweet-sour sauce and vegetables. Ready to serve.
- Serve the Sweet and Sour Fish (Lapu-Lapu) hot with freshly steamed plain rice.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 40 minutes
The Sweet and Sour Fish (Lapu-Lapu) - great tasting food and easy to cook. This dish is fried fish coated with flour topped with sweet-sour sauce and veggies. It also call this escabeche. For the fish, you may use red snapper (maya-maya), grouper (lapu-lapu), tilapia or any other fish that’s fleshy and white. Depending on your preference, you may choose to cook the whole fish or fillet it.
This recipe for Sweet and Sour Fish (Lapu-Lapu) serves/makes: 4 servings
The Sweet and Sour Fish (Lapu-Lapu) recipe and the pictures are adopted from The Philippine Cookbook.
Main Ingredient: Grouper
Preparation Method: Pan Fried/Sauteed
(more Pan Fried/Sauteed