How to cook Thai Steamed Whole Red Sea Bream
- 1 whole red sea bream (about 1 pound), cleaned and scaled
- 2 green chillies, deseeded and finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons Bart Spices Thai Fish Sauce
- Finely grated zest and juice of 3 limes
- 6 salad onions, cut into 2 inches lengths
- Rinse the whole red sea bream under cold running water and pat dry with kitchen paper. Using a sharp knife, make 5-6 diagonal slashes on each side of the fish. Place on a heatproof plate or dish that will fit into a wok, steamer or large pan.
- In a bowl, mix together the chillies, garlic, Thai fish sauce and lime juice, then pour over the fish.
- Set aside 1 teaspoon of the lime zest, and then scatter the remainder over the fish. Sprinkle with the salad onions, then leave to one side for 10 minutes to allow the flavors to infuse.
- Meanwhile, fill a wok, steamer or large pan with 3-4cm boiling water and place a trivet or upturned heatproof plate on the base. Place the plate or dish with the fish on it on the trivet or upturned plate, bring the water to the boil, then cover the wok, steamer or pan with a tight-fitting lid or piece of foil. Steam for 12-14 minutes, until the fish is just cooked.
- Transfer the Steamed Whole Sea Bream to a serving platter, garnish with the reserved lime zest and serve with steamed Thai Fragrant Rice.
The Thai Steamed Whole Red Sea Bream is a very affordable dish. Great tasting food is easy to cook and is also healthy. Steaming is recommended for low fat diets.
Red sea bream is suitable for most types of cooking.
The whole bream is gently steamed and infused with the flavors of lime, chillies and garlic to make a healthy and impressive main course for two.
This recipe for Thai Steamed Whole Red Sea Bream serves/makes: 2
The Thai Steamed Whole Red Sea Bream recipe and the pictures are adopted from The Our Favorite Fish & Seafood Recipes Cookbook.
Main Ingredient: Bream
Preparation Method: Steamed