How to cook Tuna Reuben Sandwiches
- 2 tuna fillets (about 5 ounces each), 1-inch thick
- 2 cups shredded cabbage for coleslaw*
- 3/4 cup prepared Russian or Thousand Island dressing, divided
- 4 slices rye bread
- 4 thin slices Swiss cheese
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- Salt and pepper
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- Place a large baking sheet into the oven and heat the oven to 450°F (230°C).
- Combine the coleslaw and Russian or Thousand Island dressing in a medium bowl. Refrigerate until ready to use. (Can be made one day ahead.)
- Brush one side of each slice of bread with melted butter. Place on a plate, butter side down, and top each piece of bread with a slice of the Swiss cheese.
- Repeat with remaining slices of bread.
- When oven is heated, carefully place the prepared bread, buttered side down, onto the heated baking sheet and bake for 4 minutes. (If the bread is done toasting before the tuna is done, remove it from the oven and set aside.)
- Season both sides of the tuna fillets with salt and pepper, and brush with the olive oil. While you prepare the tuna fillets, heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the tuna fillets to the hot skillet and fry for 2 minutes per side.
- For each sandwich place one fried tuna fillet on top of one of the pieces of bread, top it with half of the slaw and then top with another piece of the bread, cheese side down.
The Tuna Reuben Sandwichs recipe easy to cook and so good!
*Shredded cabbage for coleslaw can be found in cellophane bags in the produce section of most supermarkets. Two cups of thinly sliced green cabbage can be substituted.
The tuna fillets can be grilled instead of baked, if you prefer.
The Reuben Sandwich is a hot sandwich of layered meat, sauerkraut or coleslaw and Swiss cheese, with a dressing. These are grilled between slices of rye bread. The meat is either corned beef or pastrami, and the dressing is either Russian or Thousand Island dressing). Several variants exist.
This recipe for Tuna Reuben Sandwiches serves/makes: 2 sandwiches
The Tuna Reuben Sandwiches recipe and the pictures are adopted from The Our Favorite Fish & Seafood Recipes Cookbook.
Main Ingredient: Tuna
Preparation Method: Sandwich