How to cook Tunisian Pastries with Egg and Anchovies
- 1 1/2 tablespoons canned anchovy fillets, finely chopped and drained
- 4 (8 inches) spring roll wrappers
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 3 teaspoons capers, drained and chopped if large
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Oil for shallow frying
- 1 egg white, lightly beaten
- 4 small fresh eggs
- Place the separted spring roll wrapers in a stack on a 8-inch side plate and cut off the corners with scissors to give roundish shapes. Remove to a board, cover with a folded clean cloth and set aside.
- Heat the olive oil in a small frying pan. Add the onion and cook gently for about 12-15 minutes until very soft and transparent, stirring often. Mash in the anchovies, remove from the heat and stir in the parsley, capers and pepper to taste. Leave to cool in the pan, then divide into four.
- Pour 1/4 inch of oil into a 10 inch frying pan.
- Place a spring roll wrapper on a side plate and brush around the edge with beaten egg white. Place a portion of onion filling in a heap on one side, wtih the edge of the filling just touching the middle. Make an indentation in the filling with a soup spoon and break an egg into it. Fold the spring roll wrapper over the filling to meet the other side and press the edges to seal.
- Heat the oil in the frying pan. Slide the roll into the hot oil and shallow fry for about 45 seconds on each side, until golden brown and crisp, turning the brik over using two fish slices or tongs. Lift out, drain on kitchen paper and keep warm. Prepare and cook the remaining briks in the same way.
- Serve the Tunisian Fried Pastries hot.
The Tunisian name for the Tunisian Fried Pastries with Egg and Anchovies recipe is Brik Bil Anchouwa
This recipe for Tunisian Pastries with Egg and Anchovies serves/makes: 4 pastries
The Tunisian Fried Pastries with Egg and Anchovies (Brik Bil Anchouwa) recipe is adopted from The Reader's Digest Mediterranean Cookbook.
Main Ingredient: Anchovy
Preparation Method: Pan Fried/Sauteed
(more Pan Fried/Sauteed