How to cook Turkish Anchovy Rice (Hamsili Pilav)
- 1 pound fresh anchovies
- 1 1/4 cups long gran rice
- 1/4 stick butter
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 large Spanish onion, cut into rings
- 1 large fresh tomato, sliced horizontally
- 1 green or red bell pepper, sliced
- Lemon wedges, to serve
- Place the rice in a bowl and cover with hot water. Allow to cool, then drain, wash thoroughly, and drain again.
- Melt the butter in a saucepan, add the stock, and bring to a boil. Add the rice, cover, and simmer for 5 minutes. Then reduce the heat and simmer for 15 minutes more, or until the liquid is completely absorbed.
- Preheat a 350°F (180°C) oven. Wash the fish under cold running water and separate the bones by cutting the side of the fish halfway through from the heat and pulling the bone out.
- Line a large ovenproof dish with half of the rice then place the onion and half the fish on top. Cover with the rest of the rice, fish, and tomato and bell pepper slices in layers.
- Cook in the oven for 20 minutes.
- Serve the Turkish Anchovy Rice hot, with lemon wedges for squeezing over.
The Turkish Anchovy Rice very easy to prepare and so good!
The Turkish name for this recipe is Hamsili Pilav
This recipe for Turkish Anchovy Rice (Hamsili Pilav) serves/makes: 4
The Turkish Anchovy Rice (Hamsili Pilav) recipe is adopted from The Turkish Cooking by Bade Jackson 1998.
Main Ingredient: Anchovy
Preparation Method: Baked