4 - 6
How to cook Vietnamese Caramel Monkfish (Ca Caramen)
- 1 1/2 pounds monkfish tail fillets, cut into chunks
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 3 shallots, finely chopped
- 4 tablespoons caramel syrup (see the recipe below)
- 4 tablespoons Vietnamese fish sauce
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 sprig coriander leaves
- 2 spring onions, sliced
Caramel Syrup (Nuoc Mau) Ingredients:
- Heat the oil in a wok, add the garlic and shallots.
- Stir fry for 1 minute. Add the monkfish and cook, stirring carefully for 2-3 minutes or until the fish has turned white.
- Add the caramel syrup and stir to coat the fish.
- Add the fish sauce, water and pepper.
- Stir and simmer gently for about 10 minutes, or until the fish is done and the sauce has slightly caramelized.
- To serve the Vietnamese Caramel Monkfish (Ca Caramen), garnish with the coriander leaves and sliced spring onions.
How to cook Caramel Syrup (Nuoc Mau)
- 4 tablespoon water
- 4 tablespoon sugar
- Put sugar and water in a small saucepan.
- Cook and stirs frequently till the sugar turns dark brown color, and not burn.
This recipe for Vietnamese Caramel Monkfish (Ca Caramen) serves/makes: 4 - 6
The Vietnamese Caramel Monkfish (Ca Caramen) recipe and the pictures are adopted from The Our Favorite Fish & Seafood Recipes Cookbook.
Main Ingredient: Monkfish
Preparation Method: Pan Fried/Sauteed
(more Pan Fried/Sauteed