How to cook Vietnamese Carp Cooked in Coconut Milk
- 1 whole carp, large enough to serve 4, cleaned and gutted
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 stalk lemon grass, peeled and finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon peppercorns, bruised
- 1 clove garlic, chopped and crushed
- 1 red chili pepper, thinly sliced
- 1/2 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 4 whole cloves, bruised
- 2 tablespoons Nuoc Mam sauce
- 4 ounces coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon fresh coriander, finely chopped
- 1 lime, rind and juiced
- In the oil, gently fry the lemon grass, peppercorns, garlic, chili, cinnamon and cloves until the flavor is released - 2 minutes at the outside.
- Add the Nuoc Mam sauce and stir in gently.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the coconut milk.
- Place the carp in a pan and pour over the coconut milk mixture. Add the lime juice and fresh coriander and stir.
- Cover and simmer for 10-15 minutes or until the fish is cooked.
- Remove the fish and place on a serving dish. Garnish with the strips of lime rind. Heat the sauce and boil for a few minutes to reduce and thicken.
- Strain until a plain milk is left.
- Pour this over the carp.
The Vietnamese name for Carp Cooked in Coconut Milk recipe is Ca Chep Nau Voi Nuoc Dua.
This recipe for Vietnamese Carp Cooked in Coconut Milk serves/makes: 4
The Vietnamese Carp Cooked in Coconut Milk recipe and the pictures are adopted from The Our Favorite Fish & Seafood Recipes Cookbook.
Main Ingredient: Carp
Preparation Method: Poached/Simmered