How to cook Vietnamese Halibut Simmered in Caramel Sauce
- 4 halibut (catfish, cod or tilefish) steaks, about 6 ounces each and 1 inch thick
- Caramel Syrup (see the recipe below)
- 1 teaspoon chili paste (tuong or tuoi) or 2 fresh red chiles, seeded and minced
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Pickled Bean Sprouts (see the recipe below) , to serve
Caramel Syrup (Nuoc Mau) Ingredients:
- Prepare the Caramel Syrup. Stir the chili paste into the cooled caramel sauce and set aside.
- Add the fish to the caramel syrup in a clay pot or heavy-bottomed saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low, cover the pot and simmer for about 45 minutes, turning the fish occasionally.
- Sprinkle with black pepepr, if desired, and serve with steamed rice and Pickled Bean Sprouts.
How to cook Caramel Syrup (Nuoc Mau)
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup brown sugar
Pickled Bean Sprouts (Dua Gia) Ingredients:
- Bring water and sugar to a boil.
- Stir and reduce until liquid is a dark brown color.
- Remove from heat, add a few tablespoons of water and stir.
- Pour into a heatproof container.
- Cover with a lid.
How to cook Pickled Bean Sprouts (Dua Gia)
- 1 cup bean sprouts
- 1 bunch chives, cut into 1 1/2 inch lengths
- 2 cups cold water
- 2 tablespoons salt
- Soak the bean sprouts and chives in the cold, salted water for 1 day.
- Keep in the refrigerator.
- Drain before serving.
- Strips of carrot can also be added.
The Vietnamese Halibut Simmered in Caramel Sauce recipe very easy to prepare and so good!
This recipe for Vietnamese Halibut Simmered in Caramel Sauce serves/makes: 4
The Vietnamese Halibut Simmered in Caramel Sauce recipe is adopted from The Food of Vietnam - 1997.
Main Ingredient: Halibut
Preparation Method: Poached/Simmered