How to cook Vietnamese Poached Carp
- 1 whole live carp or any fresh water fish
- 1/2 cup shredded young ginger
- 2 green onions
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon wine
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 4 tablespoons brown vinegar
- 2 teaspoons brown food color (optional)
- 3 tablespoons lotus root starch or cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 4 tablespoons lard (or oil)
- 2 cups soup stock
- Kill carp by striking a blow on the head (do not remove head). Scale and clean.
- Split it lengthwise from gills down without cutting through the back. Chop the large bones into sections.
- Put the carp in boiling water with some green and ginger, cook over medium heat until the fish is done (when the eyes pop out). Remove the fish from pan and place onto a platter.
- Sprinkle the young shredded ginger on the fish.
- Splash wine in the 3 tablespoons heated oil, add soup stock immediately.
- Add soy sauce, sugar, vinegar, salt and food color. When the soup is boiling add lotus root starch or cornstarch (mix with 5 tablespoons cold water before use) cook until thickened.
- Sprinkle 1 tablespoon sesame oil and 1 tablespoon lard (or hot cooking oil) into the sauce, pour over the fish.
- Serve immediately.
This recipe for Vietnamese Poached Carp serves/makes: 4
The Vietnamese Poached Carp recipe and the pictures are adopted from The Our Favorite Fish & Seafood Recipes Cookbook.
Main Ingredient: Carp
Preparation Method: Poached/Simmered