4 - 6
How to cook Welsh Herrings for Supper (Swper Scadan)
- 1 pound medium sized herrings
- 1 large apple
- 1 1/2 pounds potatoes
- 1 salt-spoonful made mustard
- 1 salt-spoonful made sage
- 1 large onion
- 1/2 ounce margarine
- Pepper and salt to taste
- Clean herrings, bone and divide into fillets. Spread the insides with the mustard, sprinkle with salt and pepper and roll up.
- Peel and slice potatoes and onion; peel, core and slice apple.
- Put half the potatoes into a greased pie-dish; add apples, then onion and the herring rolls. Sprinkle with the sage. Cover with remainder of apple and potatoes and seasoning and half fill the dish with boiling water.
- Put little nuts of margarine on top, cover, and bake in a moderate oven for an hour; remove cover and leave in the oven for another half hour.
The Welsh Herrings for Supper recipe very easy to prepare and so good!
The Welsh name for this recipe is Swper Scadan
This recipe for Welsh Herrings for Supper (Swper Scadan) serves/makes: 4 - 6
The Welsh Herrings for Supper (Swper Scadan) recipe is adopted from The Welsh cookbook: a collection of recipes donated by the people and personalities of Wales.
Main Ingredient: Herring
Preparation Method: Baked