16 fish cakes
How to cook West African Feisty Fish Cakes
- 1 pound cooked hake (or any white fish of your choice) fillets, skinned
- 1 1/2 cups potatoes, peeled and diced
- 4 tablespoons grated onion
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne
- Pinch of grated nutmeg
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Toasted bread crumbs for coating
- Safflower oil for frying
- Dipping sauce of choice
- Cook the potato in a little salted water, drain, mash and season with salt and pepper. Flake the hake fillets and mix with the mashed potato, onion, parsley, cayenne, nutmeg and beaten egg.
- Drop spoonfuls of the fish cake mixture into the crumbs and coat evenly. Form the mixture into patties with your hands, flattening them slightly.
- Deep fry the fish cakes in hot oil until they are crisp and golden.
- Remove from the oil and drain on paper towels.
- Served the deep fried fish cakes hot with a spicy dipping sauce.
Fish is such a common and cheap food in West Africa, it's no wonder that there are numerous recipes for spicy fish cakes such as this.
This recipe for West African Feisty Fish Cakes serves/makes: 16 fish cakes
The West African Feisty Fish Cakes recipe and the pictures are adopted from The Our Favorite Fish & Seafood Recipes Cookbook.
Main Ingredient: Hake
Preparation Method: Deep Fried
(more Deep Fried