How to cook West African Seafood Stew
- 1 pound shrimp
- 1 pound flounder fillet (or any firm white fish)
- 3 cups fish stock
- 4 onions, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne, or to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon thyme
- 2 potatoes, diced
- 2 sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 2 cups chopped cabbage
- 1 (28 ounces) can Italian style (plum) tomatoes
- 1 cup chopped Italian parsley
- 2 green bananas, sliced
- Lemon or lime wedges
- Bring the stock to a boil in a large pot and drop in the shrimp cook for 2 minutes, remove with a slotted spoon and set aside to cool.
- Add the onions, garlic, spices, potatoes, sweet potatoes, cabbage, tomatoes and parsley to the stock and simmer for 15 minutes, or until the potatoes are just tender.
- Meanwhile, peel the shrimp and cut the fish into 2 inches chunks. Add the flounder and banana slices to the stew and cook 10 minutes more. Stir in the shrimp and serve with lemon or lime wedges.
This recipe for West African Seafood Stew serves/makes: 8
The West African Seafood Stew recipe and the pictures are adopted from The Our Favorite Fish & Seafood Recipes Cookbook.
Main Ingredient: Seafood Mix
(more Seafood Mix
Preparation Method: Soup/Stew