How to cook Whole Smoke Grilled Mountain Trout
- 4 small whole mountain (rainbow or golden) trout, scaled and gutted
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 8 sprigs fresh thyme
- 8 sprigs fresh oregano
- 4 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 8 lemon slices, 1/4 inch thick
- 2 teaspoons chopped garlic (optional)
- Applewood or mesquite smoking chips
- Extra-virgin olive oil for drizzling
- Coat the outside of each trout with mayonnaise. In the body cavity of each fish, stuff 2 thyme sprigs, 2 oregano sprigs, 1 rosemary sprig and 2 lemon slices. Add a little garlic if you like. Refrigerate until ready to grill.
- Light a charcoal fire or preheat your gas grill on high. Oil your grill's cooking grate (or inside of a fish basket, if using).
- When the coals are almost ready or the gas is close to preheating, add the smoking chips and cover (or for gas grill, add chips to smoker box or foil pouch with holes punched in it).
- Wait until a good head of smoke is obvious, then add trout. Cover and cook 5 to 6 minutes each side, depending on thickness of trout (use the 10 minute per inch rule as a guide).
- Remove trout from heat to a platter and let rest 5 minutes. Serve the Whole Smoke Grilled Mountain Trout with drizzle of first-rate extra-virgin olive oil.
The Whole Smoke Grilled Mountain Trout recipe is delicious, simple, and really easy to cook.
The smoky, herbaceous flavors of this dish will remind you of your last mountain camping trip. While the recipe calls for applewood smoking chips, you can also use mesquite chips in the smoker box or foil packet (for gas grills) or thrown in with the coals of your charcoal grill. Also, this recipe couldn't be simpler to prepare streamside, if you're lucky enough to land a trout of your own. Just substitute a little olive oil for the mayonnaise coating on the skin of the fish - it will give the recipe a different flavor, of course, but serve the same purpose of keeping the fish from sticking to the cooking grate.
This recipe for Whole Smoke Grilled Mountain Trout serves/makes: 4 servings
The Whole Smoke Grilled Mountain Trout recipe and the pictures are adopted from The Our Favorite Fish & Seafood Recipes Cookbook.
Main Ingredient: Trout
Preparation Method: Smoked